Saturday, January 22, 2011

IT'S GAME DAY!!!

Quick entry before I start getting ready...

So... since November, and maybe before, I've been organizing an event for work. I work in fundraising/alumni relations at a school, and this particular event is an enormous hockey tournament, the proceeds of which go towards a bursary that helps a deserving student attend the school. Over 100 people are coming to the tournament today - alumni, parents of current and past students, and other friends of the school. It's kinda a big deal.

The organization for this event has been ongoing since November, as I said, but this week was the big one. I was constantly sending out emails, making phone calls, receiving phone calls, reconfiguring the schedule, finalizing the schedule, sending out the rosters, organizing the dinner, etc., etc., etc. The work didn't stop and I was experiencing a level of stress that I've never before experienced. I mean, seriously. I collapsed on my couch after every work day, just trying to find a moment where I wasn't thinking about work, and more particularly, this event.

The day of the event has finally come. I woke up early, had a good breakfast (and lots of coffee), and now I'm about to get ready. I head over to the arena in 1.5 hours. The event goes from 8:30am this morning until about 9:00pm tonight. I will be on my "A" game that entire time. I have to be. BUT - when 9:00pm comes, I will have survived. 15 hours from now, I will collapse on my couch once again, but this time it won't be with stress - it will be with relief and, I hope, pride. No, I know I'll be proud.

I just recently hit the 6-month mark at work, and I couldn't help but think, "How am I doing so far?" I felt the need to assess how I'm doing in some way, to kind of move me forward into the next 6 months. I think today will very much be that feedback. When I make it through today, I'll have the reward to my effort that will launch me into the next phase.

Here goes... Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment