Friday, October 1, 2010

Do I miss it?

Do I miss Laurier?

I'm coming back to Waterloo today for the first time since early July. All things considered, that's not at all a long time to be away from Laurier, but after having pretty much not left the campus for any extended period of time for 5 years... it seems like a while.

I'm coming back for Homecoming Weekend with a fellow alumnus and close friend. This will be my first WLU Homecoming as an alumna, so that makes it a real homecoming, I guess.

It's made me think... do I miss it? What do I miss?

I do miss it.
  • I miss never having to make plans because you're going to run into your best friends on campus at some point during the day.
  • I miss long sessions at the library where very little gets done, but you laugh A LOT.
  • I miss Waterloo -- it's a great city.
  • I miss having your whole life take place in one location (job, school, fun, etc.).
  • I miss being in a stage of life that will never occur again. One where your only real obligation is to write papers and go to class and learn.

Those were good times...
I don't miss everything though...
  • I don't miss the stress of being a student.
  • I don't miss being a factory of essays - sometimes writing (or at least finishing) 3 in 1 day.
  • I don't miss being broke all of the time.

And, to put it differently, one thing I really really love about not being a student is the fact that when I'm done work for the day, I'm done. I can sit guilt-free in front of the TV, I can read a book for pleasure, I can go to bed early, I can take the time to cook a nice dinner... the list goes on.

That said, I really can't wait to be back in Waterloo tonight. However, I'm sure that by Sunday I'll be pretty excited to come back home, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment