Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Learning new wor(l)ds

Salary with benefits. Submitting claims. Taxable benefits.

In my first week at my first big-girl non-student job I was overwhelmed by all of these terms. I’m used to being paid by the hour and being under my parents’ insurance, so what’s all this? My signature is needed? Do I even have dependents?


Well, here’s my first piece of advice – don’t be afraid to ask. I don’t know about you, but forms – official ones – make me really anxious. Especially government ones… not that my work forms were government-related (except for a few)… but anyway, when I have to fill out my social insurance number or banking information or anything along those lines – I panic. I feel like I’m in trouble for some reason. I managed to work my way through most of the forms, but when I got to the health and dental insurance ones, I froze. I’d never filled out anything like that before.


So I thought about it… why don’t I just ask the woman in the Finance office that I’m submitting this to? Nobody would expect me to understand this… so I emailed her and she happily filled out the form with me. She explained each step, helped me fill it out correctly, and there you go!
I left her office feeling satisfied, comfortable, and pleased. Hopefully the next time I get a form like that, I’ll know what to do. If not, I’ll know that there’s no harm in asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment