It is most likely that when you graduate you'll move somewhere. You very well may stay in Kitchener/Waterloo, which is a fantastic option, but I've seen that the trend is to move somewhere else. You're also most likely to move somewhere that is already familiar to you, say your hometown, or Toronto, which is familiar to everyone. It is also likely that you will know someone in the city/town that you're moving to. These are not definite things, but they are likely things.
I did an unlikely thing. I moved to a small town of 16,500 where I didn't know a single soul to take a job that I knew was worth taking a risk for. I haven't once regretted this decision, but I won't say that things haven't been hard... because they have. They've been pretty tough at times.
My life is pretty solitary. Luckily, I'm introverted and so that doesn't bother me much. Essentially, I get up in the morning, get ready, go to work, come home, relax-watch TV-go on the computer-eat-chill-read, and then go to bed. That's my life most days. It sounds boring, and sometimes it is, but that's how it is.
I've been working at my new job and living in my new town for 3 months now. For the first month I loved it; everything was novel and exciting and it was great. For the second and third months, it started to dawn on me that 2 years here (the length of my contract) is a long time. Will I make friends? Will I forge a social life? Will I want to move and then commute? Will I survive?
And then it occurred to me (with some guidance from my parents) that having amazing friends and family (even if they're in another city) and an incredible job and great apartment (even if they're in a boring town) is more than a lot of people can say. So what if my Monday-Thursday life is sometimes boring??? I can go home to T.O. every weekend to make up for it. More than that though, I'm young! I've got my whole life to socialize, but what about the importance of starting my career off right? It's better to pay my dues now (in terms of a less than ideal living situation) and wait until my next job to live in a more desirable city. Also, don't get me wrong, the place I live in isn't terrible... it's just different.
Anyway, the point is that after university, you don't have to zoom straight into what you hope your adult life will be like. You're still young. There's no rush! Do things now that get you on the perfect path for you and your ideal adult life will happen soon enough!
God, I sound preachy. You know that this entry is in part super therapeutic as I rationalize away my boredom... As always, take from it what you will!
**NOTE: While in Waterloo on Homecoming weekend, I did prove to myself that I could still party. However, within 2 days after the weekend I was sick as a dog -- sneezing, coughing, sniffling, runny nose, etc., etc. That said, correlation does not always equal causation. That's what I keep telling myself...
No comments:
Post a Comment