You're not here to make friends.
Building friendships with colleagues, volunteers, etc. is a great perk of a good job and workplace. That said, it's not why I'm here. So, when it's a question of pleasing the group of people I'm with versus doing the right thing for my office/institution - I have to choose the latter. Being liked vs. being respected can be a tough situation to navigate, but I choose respect.
Sometimes you just have to move on.
You know that one topic in a meeting that causes a lot of debate/conversation whether it's positive or negative? The topic isn't always the same, but the situation is - people get excited, the conversation goes on and on, but in the end: nothing is decided. It's important to not let those discussions take too long when you know the outcome. Sometimes you just need to interrupt the debate and move on.
Just keep pushing.
If you have an idea that everyone agrees with and a colleague promises to execute but it never happens? Just keep pushing. 9/10 times it's just because he/she forgot, but don't let your timidity get the best of you. Bring the topic up again when you get the chance, and probably out of sheer embarrassment he/she will make it happen.
Pick your battles.
If you feel a tickle in your throat and want to stay home - stop and think: do I really need to stay home? Do I want to save this sick day for a sicker day? Did I work from home already this week and could therefore stand to spend another day in the office? If the answer is YES - pick your battles and head in to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment