- An introvert's energy is drained by social situations (a.k.a. introverts need to recuperate after a party).
- An extrovert's energy is replenished by social situations (a.k.a. extroverts are energized by a party).
So being an introvert does not mean I'm awkward in social situations, or that I have social anxiety, or that I can mingle at a cocktail party. All it means - to me - is that I need to amp myself up for a social gathering and then wind myself down after one. If I have a free evening, I'll likely have a relaxed night alone or with a few close friends... that's where I get my energy.
Anyway, because social gatherings drain me, when I get invitations to them, I usually lean towards "no". For example, yesterday I was hosting a work event in a different city, and one of the women who was attending invited me to stop by her house before the event. My instinct was "no, I'll just chill at a Starbucks alone before the event," but then I thought, I know this woman quite well. She is always very kind to me, and I enjoy her company, and she has been so kind to invite me to her home. It maybe wouldn't be rude to decline, but it would be the right thing to do to accept, so... I will!!!
And I did, and it was a really lovely visit. We had a cup of tea and chatted, and I'm glad I did it.
Learning to do the right thing, get out of your comfort zone, etc.... it seems to all be part of growing up. I'm learning!
No comments:
Post a Comment